Omaha-Ponca a/e Sentence Finals

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Sep 23 17:52:32 UTC 2001

And, incidentally, Boas reminds me that a and e occur as male and female
sentence finals in Omaha-Ponca 'to mark emphasis'.  His examples
(corrected somewhat):

male:  aNs^iN' idha'naNhiN a'!  'truely I am fat!' (567.9)
female:  dhi't?adhe=wadhe i'dhanaHniN e'! 'truely you are a hateful one!'
(152.2-3)

This is different from the *a *question final and the *a* female
imperative final.

And incidentally, this pair are a nice example of the inflected i'na(N)hiN
'be truely', idha'- and i'dha- are the regular first and second persons of
i'- verbs.