Predicative (?)e (was RE: Nominal Ablaut, ...)

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Sep 13 21:05:39 UTC 2001

> Ama' / ame' would be the plural/moving counterpart of akha' / akhe'.

> Yes, but really it's just akha and ama with or without a following e.

I'm sure someone in this exchange has said it already somewhere, but let me
reiterate: Sentence-final /V/ and /Ve/ or just /e/ variants are most often
the women's speech forms. And in more recent times one gets /-e/ variants in
male speech too because of learning contexts.  This used to cause great
mirth among the elderly Osage women I worked with back about 1980.

In Quapaw the /-e/ variant simply substituted for the -V in women's speech.