Nominal Ablaut in Crow

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Sep 15 19:46:43 UTC 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 Rgraczyk at aol.com wrote:
> That's right; nouns ending in -uu also add -a in the citation form.  The
> generalization seems to be that Crow does not like words that end in a high
> vowel.  The only exceptions that I can think of are vocative forms, e.g.,
> baashi'i 'brother-in-law!', and a few adverbs.

How do the Crow final patterns for nouns match up with Hidatsa, Mandan,
and Siouan at large?  I always think that when there are patterns, it's
useful to compare the whole pattern instead of just a particular form
within it.  I know that at least some ia and ua patterns in Crow (not sure
about length) turn out to suggest -h finals when compared with, say
Dakotan, though that might be for verb.