Dorsey's Law

Nancy E Hall nancyh at linguist.umass.edu
Tue Apr 2 20:33:16 UTC 2002

	Right- and they also count as monosyllables for reduplication.
It seems like there are some good phonological arguments for
monosyllabicity in the Winnebago case, so I'm curious whether there is any
external support from metrics, pausing tests, tapping tests, speaker
comments, etc. the way there is in Gaelic.
	I've listened to some tapes of Winnebago elicitation by Fraenkel,
and my impression is that when the consultant is producing words
emphatically in isolation, he sometimes pauses slightly between syllables,
but not within a Dorsey's Law sequence. But this evidence isn't strong,
unless it can be corroborated by an actual fieldworker.

Nancy