Reviused Address for Dryer's OP Concordances

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 29 02:11:51 UTC 2002

Siouanists interested in consulting the concordances Matthew Dryver made
for Ardis Eschenberg from the Siouan Archives Dorsey texts should now see:

http://wings.buffalo.edu/linguistics/people/faculty/dryer/dryer/omaha.conc.sit
.../omaha.conc.rev.sit
.../omaha.conc.engl.sit

His description:

>Concordances of Dorsey's Omaha Texts
>
>These concordances are meant to be looked at on one's computer screen.
>They are far too long to print out.  (If you tried, they would be over
>20,000 pages.)
>
>There are three concordances, the main one (Omaha, alphabetical), the
>reverse Omaha one, and the English-based one.  Each concordance contains
>20 or more documents, one for each letter.  Each concordance also
contains
>an additional document with the suffix "list" (before the .rtf suffix)
>which is a list of all the words in the order they occur in that
>concordance and their frequency in the Dorsey texts.
>
>They are all RTF documents.  Except for the list documents, they must be
>opened from within Microsoft Word on a Mac.  I don't know if this is also
>necessary in Windows.  The choice of nonstandard characters is based on
>what seems to work in Windows (the accent mark does not come out right on
>a Mac).  A tilde using its own space is used for the nasalization symbol.
>
>There are three StuffIt documents, one for each of the three
concourdance.
>Each will expland into a folder containing the 20 or more documents
making
>up that concordance.  Each of the three StuffIt documents is about 4MB.
>When unstuffed, these three concordances require a total of about 80MB of
>hard disk space.
>
>The three concordances are at the following URL's:

Where to get StuffIt, a program that can handle sit archives: