Siouan "khagha" ~ "ichagha"

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Fri Aug 9 20:53:36 UTC 2002

Re: gypsum or "mica"This verb apparently meant 'make marks' originally.  In the Mississippi Valley Siouan languages it has been generalized to 'make' in the modern languages.  The older, common Siouan verb 'make, so' is/was ?uN.

Sorry I can't help with the mineral terms.  It is a real problem for all of us that cultural vocabulary has not been collected in sufficient detail in most Siouan languages.  In a few instances, such as ethnobotany, talented scientists of particular disciplines (in this case botany) have visited communities and collected a good many more terms than linguists did.  I haven't heard of any mineralogists who have done that however.

Bob