gypsum or "mica"

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sat Aug 10 22:10:15 UTC 2002

> I think ic^a'gho 'to make a mark, draw a line,
sketch' (or the thing so
> produced, as a noun) is simply a different stem,
probably the root is gho,
> with prefixed ka 'by force' (which becomes c^a after
i).

Yes, the Kaw stem is igazo w/ a Quapaw cognate.
Substituting -zo instead of -gho.  And the prefix is
the instrumental.

In kaghe~a 'make (marks)' the ka- is part of the verb
root, not a prefix.  This stem refers to making marks
and/or scratches in languages as different and as
distant as Crow and Winnebago-Chiwere.  And in Quapaw
the redup form, wakakaghe is 'movie'.  So it would seem
that the original semantics were more specific than
just 'make' alone.

Alas, this doesn't help us with the 'mica' problem
much.  Best thing to do is find speakers who know and
ask them for help.