*t-stems in Dakotan

Constantine Xmelnitski mosind at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 18:08:19 UTC 2002

--- Koontz John E <John.Koontz at colorado.edu> wrote:
> The verb form I couldn't remember in my posting on
> lists of stop-stems is
> kikta 'to get up' (wekta, etc.).  I take it to
> involve an underlying stem
> ta.  I believe I simply found this in Buechel
> looking under kik- out of
> curiosity.  Also relevant in Dakotan is akiktuNwaN
> 'to look around for
> one's own', mentioned in Boas & Deloria 1941 as
> anomalous.  This time it's
> that 'see' gloss (and one of the stems) again.

Two more words with -kik- (both seemingly obsolete):
ikikcu "take one's own" < icu
akicikcita "hunt one's own" < akhita (not sure about
aspiration in c's in akicikcita).

Talking about kikta this could be from ki- + kta stem
(non-ablauting), occuring in a number of other verbs:
wakta "expect", akta "respect, regard, give heed to",
ihakta.

Here's also from Boas & Deloria's "Dakota Grammar".

Page 88

§ 101. The use of ki- for back again

"A peculiar use of ki is probably reducible to the
dative ki. The possessive forms iki'kcu he takes his
own, i.e. he takes it back 47.1, 48.8; kichu' he gives
his own, i.e., he gives it back; ophe'kithuN he buys
his own, i.e., he buys it back; kicha' he asks for his
own, i.e., he asks it back; kikta' to get up from a
lying position, i.e., to be up again; all imply a
return to a former state. The first person has the
regular possessive form we'. The k does not change to
c after e and i.

"A number of other forms which render the idea of
return to a previous state are expressed by forms
corresponding to the first dative ki, with first
person waki...

Best wishes,
Constantine.