Dhegihanists: Ethnonyms for SE tribes?

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Aug 15 16:25:25 UTC 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, R. Rankin wrote:
> Awhile back I was asked to provide Dhegiha names for
> the various tribes of the aboriginal Southeast.  I
> found several in my Kansa and Quapaw notes, but I
> wonder if any of you have more from Osage, Omaha or
> Ponca?  These would include names for the Cherokee,
> Creek (Muskogee), Choctaw, Chickasaw, Shawnee and
> presumably Caddo, plus a variety of others if they can
> be discovered.

There is a list of Omaha ethnonyms in Fletcher & LaFlesche that has some
of these, I think.  There's also a list in Howard's Ponca Tribe, and I
know some of them appear in LaFlesche for Osage.  Unfortunately, those are
the only sources for Dhegiha ethnonyms that I know of, other than possible
random inclusions in ethnographic material or texts.