Dhegihanists: Ethnonyms for SE tribes?

Anthony Grant Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 15 18:40:59 UTC 2002

Folks:

Could Quapaw /hi$a/ have something to do with the little-known Caddoan tribe
whose name is usually spelt Eyeish?  One Caddo clan was supposedly of Quapaw
origin and was called Imaha - a clearly Dhegiha name!.  (There was also a
Caddo clan of Choctaw origin, named 'Yowani', according to Alice Fletcher.)

Anthony