More Quapaw ethnonyms for Dhegihanists.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Fri Aug 16 20:02:37 UTC 2002

While at the office today I checked the few field notes
A.S. Gatschet left from his Quapaw elicitation in 1888.
Gatschet is not known for his phonetic ability, so in
some instances it is not possible to determine which
voiceless stop he was hearing.  I the cases where I
simply cannot venture a phonemization, I write the stop
in CAPS below.  N marks nasalization of preceding V,
and accented V's are in CAPS also.

Gatschet           phonemicized     tribe
Shawa'no        /$awANno/        Shawnee
Masko'gi          /maskOki/            Creek
Ta'xta                /ttAxta/            Choctaw
(this is what happens to [c^] before a back V in a
language that had no phonemic affricates.  G. wrote it
two different times with initial T-)
Tcika'su            /CikkAso/        Chickasaw (note
that palatal is accepted preceding front V).
Semino'ne        /semiNnONne/ Seminole
Tonka'wa        /ToNKAwa/        Tonkawa
Shada'ki            /$adAkki/        Cherokee
Su'te                /sOTe/                Caddo
(another mysterious Caddo term)

I also double-checked La Flesche's Osage dictionary,
but oddly, no term for Cherokee.