land=mother???

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Wed Aug 21 21:09:35 UTC 2002

I can't think of anything in Siouan or Muskogean
languages that would approach this.  There are several
senses of Earth, of course.  The notion of "Mother
Earth" (and "Father Sky") seems to be central to a lot
of early Indo-European religious thinking.  The
concepts are discussed in some detail in that book on
Indo-European by Mallory.  If you need the
bibliographic information, I have it at the office.

My recollection is that some of the Southeastern tribes
had very definite ideas of land ownership.  The best
sources to consult on those groups would probably be
the large compendia published by the Bureau of American
Ethnology by John R. Swanton, but I have no specific
references to send you to.

Bob Rankin