'he told me'

Shannon West shanwest at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 21 22:02:34 UTC 2002

For the Assiniboine of 'he told me', I've got omagiyaga and omijiyaga. I
recognize the rule g --> j / i_, but why is the i there in the first place?
Is there a difference in these two forms that I'm not seeing? Linda, do you
get both forms too?

I have this pair but I don't have a clue what to do with it.

John buza waNz^i hiNhaN opetuN (z^e) omagiyaga
John told me he bought a cat last night (he = John)

John buza waN'z^i 'hiNhaN opetuN (z^e) omijiyaga
He told me John bought a cat last night (same reading as English he != John)

Any ideas?

Shannon