'he told me'

Linda A Cumberland lcumberl at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 22 05:50:17 UTC 2002

The whole -ki-/kici thing has been giving me fits, too.  There are three
verbs in the set:

oyaka		to tell, announce
		   omnaka	'I tell, announce'
		   oyaka	'he tells, announces'

okiyaka		to tell someone
		   owemnaka	'I told him'
		   omakiyaka	'he told me'  (dat. pros: ma-/ni)

okiciyaka	to tell someone about something (else)
		   owecimnaka	'I told him about it'
		   omiciyaka    'he told me about it' (mici-/nici)

Okiciyaka is really more like 'he told me it for me', so John's suggestion
of second data is on target.  I don't have examples of the forms you give,
Shannon, but I like your two test sentences and I will phone my primary
consultant to elicit them from her to see if I get the same responses.

Here is my most straightforward example of okiciyaka:

mas?apha s^ten ochicimnakiNkta	'when he calls, I'll tell you'

So I guess I should say, mas?awakipha s^ten ochicimnakiNkta ('when I call
her, I'll tell you about it')!

Linda