land=mother???

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Aug 22 17:30:55 UTC 2002

Ioway-Otoe hiN- is, I think, definitely to be
associated with earlier *miN-.  There are a few other
terms that show the same h/m/w alternation (or
replacement) pattern.  I seriously wonder/doubt if
Dhegiha iN- is cognate with the IO prefix; the
alternation is semi-regular for IO but not at all in
Dhegiha.  I guess I always just assumed that terms for
'ones own parent' didn't need a possessor since they
were always possessed by their antecedant.  And I don't
think iN- a loan either.

> Dhegiha also has iN as the first person possessive
for these stems,
> otherwise not found in Dhegiha (except maybe iNs^?age
'(my) elder'?), but
> rather similar, I think, to the first person
possessive in Ioway-Otoe,