land=mother

Marianne Mithun mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 22 18:06:46 UTC 2002

On 'mother'

Something that always tickled my fancy is the fact that the Tuscarora word
for 'my mother' is E:nE? (where E here represents nasalized schwa, with
stress on the first one, and automatic falling tone). Unlike the other
forms for mother, which are quite different, and all other kinship terms,
there is no identifiable pronominal prefix referring to either of the
kinsmen in the relationship, the mother or the child.

As you all know, the Tuscarora were in the Southeast (mostly North
Carolina) until most of them made their way back up north to join the
other Northern Iroquoians at the beginning of the eighteenth century.

Marianne Mithun