OP waiiN 'robe'

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 28 17:27:20 UTC 2002

> waiiN' s^ku'be 'thick robe' JOD 90:40-18

An incidental footnote:  I believe I transcribed waiiN' 'robe' as it was
provided by Dorsey, in the sense of one thing for one thing.  I never
heard it said myself.  I've always assumed it was something like wai'?iN
or wa(?)iN'i, except that I'd expect the first to be *we'?iN and I can't
see why the form would be plural (the second alternative).  I'm assuming a
connection with [?]iN 'wear on the shoulders'.  One of those little
mysteries that I can't solve, though the smaller they are, the more
grateful I am.  Except that anything that simultaneously challenges the
foundation block of second syllable or, better, second mora stress and the
morphophonemics of wa-i- can't be swept under the carpet without leaving a
bit of a bulge.

I suppose this term might be the one used today for blanket, but I don't
remember that.

JEK