waiN

Justin McBride jmcbride at kayserv.net
Thu Aug 29 15:41:15 UTC 2002

> Wa?u' comes from wak?o', with the glottal stop being derived
> fairly recently from /k?/.  Could someone remind me where OP
> ?iN, meaning to wear or draw with the shoulders, comes from?
> Is that from *k?iN, or is there some other source for that
> glottal?

I assume so.  I know that the Kaw form k?iN means 'to pack or carry on the
back.'  It shows up in a few of the Dhegiha clan names, too.  Incidentally,
there are some good analogs for some of these clans throughout the family.
Here are just a scant few.

KAW
ke k?iN    'turtle carriers'
miN k?iN    'sun (or blanket?) carriers'

OMAHA
iNkesabe  (sp???) 'black shoulder'

-Justin