waiN

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Aug 29 17:16:33 UTC 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Justin McBride wrote:
> I assume so.  I know that the Kaw form k?iN means 'to pack or carry on the
> back.'  It shows up in a few of the Dhegiha clan names, too.  Incidentally,
> there are some good analogs for some of these clans throughout the family.
> Here are just a scant few.
>
> KAW
> ke k?iN    'turtle carriers'
> miN k?iN    'sun (or blanket?) carriers'
>
> OMAHA
> iNkesabe  (sp???) 'black shoulder'

iNkhesabe (this k's one of the few aspirates).  The Omaha Schools scheme
has raised h for aspirates, which I've been writing H in email, by analogy
with N for raised n (or a nasal hook), so they would render this iNkHesabe
(with the appropriate substitutions for N and H).  This is a nice example
of a truncated (old C-final?) root in compounding, since the free form of
'shoulder' is iNkhede.  I've always been interested that the initial
syllable is nasalized, since the Proto-Siouan form is *khet-, and the
potential source for the iN that occurs to me is a 3rd person possessive
i-.

On the actual subject of this post, it is indeed strikign the way so many
Dhegiha clan names and sub-clan names go right across the various Dhegiha
groups.  This is a large part of what LaFlesche meant in refering to them
as "cognate tribes."  It must still produce a distinct feeling of
relatedness among the several groups, perhaps just as much as the degree
of linguistic association.