OP waiiN 'robe'

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Aug 29 17:21:11 UTC 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 rlarson at unlnotes01.unl.edu wrote:
> Could it just be wa?iN' meaning 'that which is worn', with the glottal
> stop being elided for lazy speech, while the moment originally alotted
> to it is epenthetically taken up with oral /i/ as the jaw and tongue
> move into position for the following /iN/ before the vellum opens the
> passage to the nasal cavity?

I think that the "original" glottal stop (from *?, not *k?) is probably
simply never pronounced in Omaha-Ponca, so that its omission is not a fast
speech thing.  But the explanation of Dorsey's extra i as an epenthetic
sound, a transition between wa and iN, makes sense to me and seems
consistent with the forms Rory and Ardis are citing from personal
observation and other sources.  It offers a bit of insight into Dorsey's
transcriptional practices, too.