waiN

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Aug 29 18:14:37 UTC 2002

> I assume so.  I know that the Kaw form k?iN means 'to
pack or carry on the
> back.'  It shows up in a few of the Dhegiha clan
names, too.  Incidentally,
> there are some good analogs for some of these clans
throughout the family.

There are two distinct roots under discussion here.

Proto-Siouan *?iN   'to wear' (&homophone 'think') and

Proto-Siouan *k?iN 'to pack on the back, carry'

In Omaha, these two should come out /iN/ and /?iN/.
Someone with a bent toward instrumental phonetics might
want to make some recordings and see what they look
like.

bob