Dhegihanists: Ethnonyms for SE tribes?

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Aug 15 20:05:58 UTC 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Anthony Grant wrote:
> Could Quapaw /hi$a/ have something to do with the little-known Caddoan tribe
> whose name is usually spelt Eyeish?  One Caddo clan was supposedly of Quapaw
> origin and was called Imaha - a clearly Dhegiha name!.

I'd noticed the Imaha.  They're one of the four (?) Quapaw villages that
Dorsey mentions in his survey article Siouan Sociology, which is mainly a
list of bands, clans, and villages from various sources.

Bob Rankin and I have a long standing debate over whether the village name
Okaxpa ("Quapaw, lit. downstream") is opposed the village name ImaNhaN, or
to the tribal name UmaNhaN ("Omaha") both literally "upstream".  Or, of
course, whether they are all independent of each other.  A major
constituent of this issue is whether Okxapa properly applied originally
only to the village Okaxpa, or to all of the Quapaw (in later terms).
Also of interest, how the term Arkansas (Alkansea) related to KkoNze
(Kansa(s), Kaw, various clans in Dhegiha groups) and which groups it
applied to.

I don't know if anyone has the energy to rehearse the arguments here and
now ...