land=mother???

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 21 20:44:56 UTC 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC wrote:
> A colleague here at Wayne State is writing something about Native American
> vs. European views of "the land" ...

See also

Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden: Agriculture of the Hidatsa Indians (Borealis)
by Gilbert L. Wilson, Jeffery R. Hanson (Introduction)

for Hidatsa attitudes to land and control of land.

I suspect that the request oversimplies, but I would imagine that European
and Native American attitudes toward land vary extensively with the
particular group within each larger category, and with time and place,
too.  Freehold has been an unusual pattern in Europe in many places in the
past, though it is considered the norm in the US (for those who don't live
in apartments).

JEK