Information

BARudes at aol.com BARudes at aol.com
Thu Dec 12 23:01:13 UTC 2002

Dave,

Although not a Siouan language, in the distantly related Catawban language,
Catawba, any part of speech may be turned into a verb form by adding a modal
suffix.  Typically, it is the independent (or indicative) modal suffix -re:
that is used, but there are also examples of verbalization involving other
modal suffixes, in particular the interrogative modal -ne. Thus, one finds
kiN 'the', k'iNre: 'it is the one', k'iNne 'is it the one?'; h'i:ya: 'that
(yonder), hi:y'a:re: ' it is out of sight'; n'aNpari 'two', n'aNparire:
'there are two (of them)'; ar'i: 'true', ar'i:re: 'it is true'; de: 'I
(emphatic)', d'e:re: 'it is I'; w'i:ba: 'barred owl', wi:b'a:re: 'it is
(the/a) barred owl'.

Blair