Information

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Dec 15 16:03:52 UTC 2002

> Also, the sentence "(the) man is tall" seems to be rendered wace
> wahkuc, which literally seems to mean "(the) man talls"!

I think that's just a function of the English translation -- the sort of thing Pam mentioned.  Mary Haas used to say "You can't translate a language into English and then analyze the English."  It's probably better to translate all of these Siouan stative verbs not as "to tall", "to cold" etc. but rather "to BE tall", etc.  The "be" is simply included in the semantics of the Siouan stative verb (or modifier, if you like).