Information

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 18 00:00:27 UTC 2002

Hi Violet,

Thanks for your insights!  It looks like "-pi" is actually a verbal suffix
since both "thipi" and "iyapi" both have the same endings?  What exactly
would be the meaning of "-ohe"?  I wonder if this difference between "thipi"
and "thi-ohe" is similar perhaps to our difference in English between
"house" and "home"--where "home" usually indicates that someone lives in it
as opposed to a "house" which is generic or could be an empty
house?--although I'm not sure how much of a distinction we make in English
between these two, since I think the two are frequently used
interchangeably.

What about an attribute like "tall"?  Would you express this as we do in
English ("He is tall") or would "tall" be a verb form as it appears to be in
Hidatsa (and Mojave)?

Can you think of other instances where you might express what is a noun in
English as a verb form in your native language or where you might think of
something as a verb that appears as a noun in English?

I know I'm full of questions!  Curiosity gets the best of me....

Thank you and take care,
Dave