person indexing (was: Information)

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 18 19:57:41 UTC 2002

Hi Brad,

Do you feel that Whorf adequately portrayed the Hopi language as having a
different thought process than SAE (Standard Average European [Whorf's
term])?  I know one of his famous examples was "rehpi" in that it would be
translated simply as "flashed" (referring I imagine to lightning) without
specifying any subject or actor.  It sounds like you've confirmed this with
what you say about verbs of natural phenomena having no actor or subject
prefix.  I wonder though if Hopi has a separate noun form for "lightning
flash" or simply any kind of "flash" (i.e., camera flash).  I wonder if one
would say "I see a lightning flash" or "I see (something) flashed" without
specifying *what* flashed.  I wonder how Siouan and other Native American
languages compare in this regard dealing with weather or otherwise.

Regards,
Dave