Mixed stative and Whorf.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Dec 19 15:12:07 UTC 2002

I think John's examples illustrate nicely my point that languages with stative verbs have morphology (or other mechanisms) that allow them to show the concomitant action, etc.

> Here's a fun OP verb I noticed while looking into this:  u..hi' 'to have
> grown, been raised' The first person is ua'hi 'I grew' (active), but the
> second is udhi'hi 'you grew, were raised' (stative).  This is the only
> mixed active/stative verb I can recall.  I may have managed to forget some
> examples provided by Dorsey.

That's really interesting, given that Siouan languages don't tend to be "fluid-S" languages.  Are these examples from Dorsey 1890?  Carolyn gave me another example from her Osage speakers.

OS form of 'be' (Carolyn Quintero, personal comm.)
1s  briN
2s    niN  OR $ciN
3s    ðiN  OR maybe just ðí
BUT
1pl  wa-ðiN-pe  with a stative pronominal, wa- 'us, 1pl patient'.
E.g., Scéce waðiNpe 'we are tall'