Hopi correction, was RE: person indexing (was: Information)

Coon, Brad bcoon at montana.edu
Thu Dec 19 16:35:37 UTC 2002

Sorry for delay in answering, its Finals week here and students are
panicking as usual with papers that were due yesterday problems.

Hopi has a nominal SOV sentence order but it is possible to leave out
pronominal subjects and objects if either or both is understood by context
or previous utterance.  Third person subject omission is most common, but
the dictionary gives an example of 2s subject, 3s object, and 3s implied
ind.object pronominals all being omitted.
Citation,
Hopi Dictionary, Hopi Dictionary Project, 1998, p.868.

Brad Coon
Reference Librarian
The Libraries-Montana State University
bcoon at montana.edu       (406) 994-6026