statives and inchoatives

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Mon Dec 23 04:32:57 UTC 2002

I've been travelling and am sorry I'm just answering this. (It was originally
called "The Whorf Hypothesis", but I don't think I'm saying anything about that
here.)

I may have missed some earlier reference to Mojave (Mohave), a language I know
something about, which (like Siouan langauges, and many other languages all
around the world), expresses "adjectival" concepts with verbs.

In such languages, I think there are at least three different strategies for
handling stative concepts (e.g. "The man is tall") versus inchoative concepts
(e.g. "The man gets tall").

-- There may be a special auxiliary verb, comparable to English "gets". (This
is true in Chickasaw, for example; Chickasaw is a Muskogean language spoken in
Oklahoma, whose grammar is generally very similar to both Siouan and Yuman.)

-- There may be a special grammatical affix that changes the meaning of the
root verb. (This is true in Pima, a Uto-Aztecan language spoken in Arizona, and
in the Zapotec languages of Oaxaca, for example.) In some languages the
"stative" concept may be basic and the inchoative is derived (I believe this is
the best analysis of Pima), in others, it is the stative meaning that is
derived (I believe this is the best analysis of the Zapotec languages I'm
familiar with).

-- There may be no explicit marking of the difference, and context (the
surrounding discourse, associated adverbs, etc.) may help the speaker
differentiate these meanings. I've reviewed my notes on Mojave, as well as the
fairly closely related Yuman language Tolkapaya Yavapai, and I think that's the
best analysis of the data there.

Of course it is true that each language can differentiate these concepts. They
just do it differently.

Pam

David Kaufman wrote:

> I guess what I'm curious to know here is whether there would be an
> alternative in Hidatsa/Crow/Mojave and any other language that expresses
> "(The) man talls" construct to distinguish between the state of BEING tall
> and the process of GROWING TALLER.  Unfortunately all I have is the
> dictionary from 1886 by Matthew Washington in Hidatsa, and nothing from
> these other languages, and we haven't heard from our Hidatsa expert yet,
> John Boyle, who would probably know best from his research on Hidatsa.  If
> there are alternate methods depending on whether one is referring to a state
> or process, then that would correlate with IE languages (i.e., he is tall,
> he is getting taller).  If not, then I'm still left wondering why this
> attribute would be stated only in a verb form.  I realize one could say it's
> because they don't use adjectives, but why choose a verb form instead,
> unless an adjective has much in common with a verb (?).
>
> I agree that both of these polarized views are too extreme and the real
> answer lies somewhere in the middle in a big "grey" area.  I believe, as
> Pinker says, we can think without words and remember "gists" of
> conversations which are not the same as remembering a bunch of words, but I
> also believe that spoken or written language has to fit into a grammatical
> construct template in order for our thoughts to make sense to another
> speaker of the same language.  How much our grammatical construct template
> limits us in how we think or expresses nuances in different languages I'm
> not sure about.
>
> After several years of studying different languages (mostly European and now
> just beginning Native American) I too find it difficult to come up with
> adequate answers, and I only hope that as my multilingual and mutlicultural
> awareness increases I will be able to find more answers!
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Dave
>
> >From: "R. Rankin" <rankin at ku.edu>
> >To: <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
> >Subject: Re: The Whorf Hypothesis
> >Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:54:40 -0600
> >

> > >But being (and staying) tall as a state and growing tall(er and taller)
> >as
> >a process are different affairs in real life (whatever that may be, and
> >which probably was a neat subject for ethnophilosophical investigations).
> >What comes closest to your proposal is the category of resultative, i.e. a
> >category denoing a state resultant from a process. Again, stative and
> >resultative very nicely may be kept apart in the Old World, too,
> >
> >Indeed.  It seems to be the case that every language capable, using one
> >mechanism or another, to convey all the nuances of other languages.
> >
> > >This is why I wonder if speakers of these languages might be more in tune
> > >to nature and thinking in processes (being more fluidly verb- and
> > >process-oriented) and this is reflected in their language.
> >
> > >It is a romantic though understandable view, . . .

> [...]

Pamela Munro
Professor, Department of Linguistics, UCLA
UCLA Box 951543
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1543 USA
http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/linguistics/people/munro/munro.htm