John Lennon Memorial Query: No. 9

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Sun Dec 1 22:14:18 UTC 2002

The only thing I can add to what Jack's written is to clarify that this
word for '(be) pregnant', Choctaw chakali, has a somewhat odd status.
It's not the normal way any modern speaker I've consulted with expresses
this concept, but is used in Byington's translation of the Bible
(expressing 'great with child', which in the numbers, if I am correct on
this connection, would be extended to 'great with ten' (!)). Speakers
know the word, but perhaps only because of this use. It's possible,
though, that it has some other, earlier meaning we haven't discovered.

Pam