Information

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:15:08 UTC 2002

Blair,

Thanks for the info!!!

D.

----- Original Message -----
From: BARudes at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 3:03 PM
To: siouan at lists.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: Information

Dave,

Although not a Siouan language, in the distantly related Catawban language, Catawba, any part of speech may be turned into a verb form by adding a modal suffix.  Typically, it is the independent (or indicative) modal suffix -re: that is used, but there are also examples of verbalization involving other modal suffixes, in particular the interrogative modal -ne. Thus, one finds kiN 'the', k'iNre: 'it is the one', k'iNne 'is it the one?'; h'i:ya: 'that (yonder), hi:y'a:re: ' it is out of sight'; n'aNpari 'two', n'aNparire: 'there are two (of them)'; ar'i: 'true', ar'i:re: 'it is true'; de: 'I (emphatic)', d'e:re: 'it is I'; w'i:ba: 'barred owl', wi:b'a:re: 'it is (the/a) barred owl'.

Blair