Information

Violet Catches napshawin at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:08:49 UTC 2002

Hi
thipi means that it is a place being lived in, there is movement, and all
the things that include a dweling, it is an act  of living in the present
thipi is also a structure, but an erect structure, a home, a place being
dwelled in, so an empty house is referred to as a thi-ohe, where there is no
dwelling
thi-ohe means a place once dwelled in that no longer exists, there is no
movement, no dwelling no life..
iyapi means that they are speaking, the words are flowing, stopping and
flowing in a continual manner, except of course when one sleeps, another
meaning for iyapi is that they are complaining...
As a native american it was extremely difficult for me to understand verbs
as defined and nouns, It was the nouns that gave me the most problems,
because I use to think that 'thipi' and 'iyapi'  and other words like that
were 'verbs', but it was really the English that was confusing...
in the old way, I think, the word for the structure of a thipi (as we know
it today) was thiyuktan, but that also looks like a verb,  but was actually
the structure. Do you know other Sioux speakers? if you do they may recall
that  as well.