Native American verbs vs. nouns

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 23:43:48 UTC 2002

Heike,

Good points.  I guess I'm basing my assumptions on the "basic" laws of
physics as we know them currently--meaning that everything is constantly
changing and nothing is ever really static--kind of like the old adage that
the only constant in life is change itself!

I also agree with your last statement about whose criteria we should use in
correlating nature with a group of people.  I actually was wondering how
many African languages, for instance, would compare to the Native American
in this respect (i.e., are they more verb-oriented than noun-oriented,
process-thinking?).  What limited exposure I have to the Ewe language of
West Africa seemed to me more like IE languages in having both nouns and
verbs on equal footing, although I never became an expert on the language
after one semester with a consultant in a Field Methods class!

I think it would be good to get more Native American language-speakers'
perceptions on this, though.  I find Violet's comments very interesting from
a Native American perspective.  There definitely does seem to be a different
thought process about verbs and nouns in her native language vs. English!
Interesting stuff!

Take care,
Dave

Check out my personal web site: