Hopi 'lightning', was RE: person indexing (was: Information)

Coon, Brad bcoon at montana.edu
Thu Dec 19 16:19:18 UTC 2002

Whorf worked with only a single informant who spoke Second Mesa Hopi whereas
almost all other work, including the lexical materials I still have deal
with Third Mesa Hopi.  Although I have been away from Hopi for many years, I
do not recall any real analysis of the differences.
I felt Whorf's descriptions helped me to see past similarities of
nomenclature into subtle differences.  Now the caveats here are that I had
read Whorf long before I went to college and actually studied Hopi, and as I
said, Hopi was the first Native American Lg I studied.  Over the years, I
have often perceived students having a kind of language shock when they
first plunge into serious study of any language outside of their native lg's
family.  Whether this lg shock is real or not, I will leave for others, I
certainly felt something like it the first time around.

I am too far from my Hopi work to even attempt to generate sentences for
you, I will note that "rehpi" does not appear in either the massive "Hopi
Dictionary" or in the Voegelins' "Hopi Domain", both of which treat 3rd Mesa
Hopi.  Kalectaca (1978) produced a pedagogical work for 2nd Mesa Hopi which
lacks "rehpi" as well but the work's limited scope serves only as negative
evidence.

Here are some examples of "lightning" from the dictionary,
Third Mesa has a noun for lightning, 'talwiipiki', Pu' kur i' talwiikpiki
piw kiihut mu'a, "Then it appeared that lightning also struck the house."
This is from the verb, 'talwiipi(k)-, an intransitive verb meaning "for
lightning to flash, occur as a lightning flash", Talwiipikkyangqw pu' yaaw
pay hin'ur umu, "The lightning flashed and it thundered loudly."
Without further turning this into a Hopi listserv, I will note that Hopi,
like most Uto-Aztecan lgs, has an extensive number of forms derived from
Proto-Uto-Aztecan forms of the shape *ta(C)- which gloss as fire, star, sun,
summer, heat, lightning, etc.  (I will be happy to suggest some sources if
anyone is interested but would rather do it privately, i.e., not on the
SIOUAN list.)

There is a fairly detailed criticism of Whorf's methodology of eliciting
examples in the Voegelins' "Hopi Domains" and before citing Whorf's work on
Hopi, I encourage folks to read it, but as always, read it with an open
mind.

Brad Coon
Reference Librarian
The Libraries-Montana State University