pomme de terre

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Feb 3 18:46:47 UTC 2002

I should add that these potatoes aren't red until you cook them. But they
do grow to a somewhat colossal size in well-drained bottomland: about the
size of your arm and at least that big around. I'll also add that the
Miami-Illinois term below seems to be a reformulation of original
/mahkohpina/ 'bear potato', which also appears in the Jesuit documents and
elsewhere and for which there is a Proto-Algonquian reconstruction in
/ma0kwapenya/ 'bear potato'. Potawatomi historically had both 'bear
potato' and 'red potato' for this plant.

Michael

Michael McCafferty
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University