Omaha-Ponca 'to say' (RE: Dhegiha prehistory, cont.)

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sun Feb 3 20:32:08 UTC 2002

>I've been meaning to comment in regard to this that my recollection is
that the ph first person is found in Ponca only with eg(i)=..e 'to say
to', not e=..e 'to say', e.g., egiphe 'I said to him', but ehe 'I said'.

Kathy confirms this in a note she sent me last week.  She has also uncovered
a few instances of /athe/ 'must have' that Mr. Williams was willing to
confirm/produce for her.

>The evidence of Osage ephe (eps^e), etc., confirms that reduction of ph to
h in OP is secondary in e'=..e.

Kaw too.