pomme de terre

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Mon Feb 4 01:36:19 UTC 2002

Thanks to Dave for the essay on Algonquian mushrooms and blood-clots,
and to Bob and John for theirs on Siouan pomme de terre. I'm happy to
learn that the referent is (usually?) Apios americana.

So, for wapato look-alikes, we have:

Chinook Jargon	wap(a)to 'wapato' (perh. < Chinookan wa- + Kalapuyan
-pdo)
Ojibway		wa:pado: 'rhubarb; shelf fungus' (< wa:p- 'white' + -ado:w-)
Dakotan		m-do 'ground-nut' (< *wa- + to 'Apios Americana')

They're probably accidental similarities: there's no evidence I know of
to support a chain of transmission Dakota (Algonquian) (> Can. Fr.) >
Chinook Jargon, though there certainly are cases of Ojibway (and Cree?)
words making it into CJ.

Thanks for all the help.

Alan

P.S. Yes, Bob, Creek pato is 'mushroom'.