Ponca

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sun Feb 10 22:44:09 UTC 2002

Ordinarily, when I see <ar> in older orthographic rendering of Indian names,
I just assume it represents [a], as in "Arkansas" or "Harjo", Creek for
'brave'.  This is almost always true in the South, where post-vocalic R
didn't have a phonetic value, but it was true of various other R-less
English dialects too (Boston, NYC, etc.). It's true that sometimes it might
be a diacritic for length, but I don't think it has to be.

On the other hand, there were people who said "sofer" for sofa and Cuber for
"Cuba", which, I suppose was a hypercorrection, although it may have been a
geographic dialect pronunciation of word-final schwa.  Presumably they'd
have said "Dakoter" too.

As for "Ponca", there is really no regularly-occurring suffix or enclitic
with a /dh/, the nearest thing to [r] in Ponca, that would explain the
spellings.

Bob