Ponca

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 11 13:03:49 UTC 2002

We recently saw a case in Illinois where -r- was written for /-h-/. Not
that this is relevant; just something more to remember.

Michael McCafferty

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Rankin, Robert L wrote:

> Ordinarily, when I see <ar> in older orthographic rendering of Indian names,
> I just assume it represents [a], as in "Arkansas" or "Harjo", Creek for
> 'brave'.  This is almost always true in the South, where post-vocalic R
> didn't have a phonetic value, but it was true of various other R-less
> English dialects too (Boston, NYC, etc.). It's true that sometimes it might
> be a diacritic for length, but I don't think it has to be.
>
> On the other hand, there were people who said "sofer" for sofa and Cuber for
> "Cuba", which, I suppose was a hypercorrection, although it may have been a
> geographic dialect pronunciation of word-final schwa.  Presumably they'd
> have said "Dakoter" too.
>
> As for "Ponca", there is really no regularly-occurring suffix or enclitic
> with a /dh/, the nearest thing to [r] in Ponca, that would explain the
> spellings.
>
> Bob

Michael McCafferty
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"Talking is often a torment for me, and I
need many days of silence to recover from the futility of words.
                                                       C.G. Jung

"...as a dog howls at the moon, I talk."
                                    Rumi