MANDAN redux (was Re: Dakota Band Names and Pomme de Terre)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Feb 11 18:38:46 UTC 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Alan H. Hartley wrote:
> Thanks for the insight into -aya- / -awa-.

If any Dakotanists disagree, they win, of course.  :-)  I'd heard
something of this in the past, and I've hard some examples of y-loss
between vowels in Teton texts that have been played for me, so I was
interested when I saw in your quotation that the Handbook specifically
pointed this out.  I suppose they (Goddard, Parks, DeMallie and
consultants?) were trying to connect the form with "Mandan" specifically.
I think I may have said something about the possibility of awa > aa,
perhaps not very clearly in our earlier discussion of this.

JEK