Poncal

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Tue Feb 12 19:00:12 UTC 2002

Quoting bi1 at soas.ac.uk:

> as an interesting doilaect aside in the area of Bristol (Bristow or
> Bristoe in older writings) in Western England there is a
> pronunciation which makes final -a into -ol. So India and China are
> pronounced Indiol and Chinol.  There is a complicated joke about
> three girls called Vera (Veral), Vena (Venal) and something
> else, but I can't remember the details.

Hi Bruce and all:

Willem de Reuse here. Peter Trudgill told us the story about the man from
Bristol with three daughters: Eva (Evil), Ida (Idle), and Norma (Normal).  But
there must be more than one version to this. There is a reference to this one
in J. C. Wells' Accents of English (1982:344).

Best,

Willem