Siouanists, eat your heart out.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Feb 6 21:59:01 UTC 2002

That's very nice.  I was just telling a Cherokee fellow in my Indian
Languages survey class that it didn't matter linguistically whether or not
he spoke like his grandfather did, because all languages evolve constantly.
This is a good case in point.  How many generations has it been since
'would' was truly the past tense of 'will' and was required by the
sequence-of-tenses rules in English sentences like the one below?  I'll use
the example in my next class.

Bob