Bruce Ingham's "Nominal and Verbal Status ..." (fwd)

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 17:58:12 UTC 2002

I'm glad people have found this interesting.  I haven't received my
copy of IJAL yet and am looking forward to seeing it.  One problem
that I found in working on the matter was that , waht we are often
told about the ablaut freezing when it becomes a noun doesn't
always seem to work.  As Connie mentions  wauNspekhiye he-ni-
chapi is "you are teachers". (-e ending in Buechel), has the -e
ending, where we might expect the -a ending.  One thing that I did
not mention in the article which I think is very important is that one
can use uN or hecha after these 'plain stems' which I think give
different meanings though difficult to translate:  wauNspekhiya
hemacha would I suppose mean 'I am a teacher, I am someone
who teaches as a permanent characteristic' while  wauNspekhiya
wauN would mean something like 'I am/was engaged in teaching'
(at a particular time).  The -ka ending in waoka 'marksman' etc I
have taken to be a nominalizer, since I don't think waoka could
occur with wa- or ma- ie wawaoka or wamaoka 'I am a marksman'.
I presume only waoka hemacha. Can anyone comment or give
other  examples.

Bruce

On 25 Jan 2002, at 15:13, Koontz John E wrote:

> Maybe a bit long ... :-).

Dr. Bruce Ingham
Reader in Arabic Linguistic Studies
SOAS