Siouan References in Reprint (Woccon & Tutelo)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 9 16:12:58 UTC 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Eric wrote:
> The ECO collection has a lot of nice stuff for Algonquianists but the Siouan
> pickings seem a little slim.  Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for
> yet.

I'd have to agree on a basis of sheer volume.  Of course, I have no idea
how useful the numerous Algonquian items are.  For Siouan contributions
I'd recommend maybe Lipkind's Winnebago grammar.  Among things that I
think are essentially unpublished (manuscripts or dissertations) there's
Sussman's Winnebago grammar, Hollow's Mandan dictionary, Hahn's
(Omaha-)Ponca grammar, and Huron K. Smith's manuscript Winnebago
ethnobotany.  (I think his Oneida ditto is also unpublished.)  A really
heroic effort might be Dorsey's Omaha-Ponca grammar or slip file.
However, these last from Smith on are longhand or heavily long-hand, and I
think more like some projects that HRAF has undertaken in the past than
the typical EP project.