Winnebago ethnobotany.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Jan 9 19:27:37 UTC 2002

 The Smith Winnebago material has been published in :

Kindscher, Kelly. Hurlburt, Dana P. Huron Smith's ethnobotany of the
Hocak (Winnebago). [Article. Feature article] Economic Botany. v. 52 no4,
Oct./Dec. 1998, p. 352-72.

I can't speak to the quality of the edition or how it compares to the
manuscript.

Ah, thanks Eric.  You anticipated me.  That's it.  Kindscher has published
two book-length treatments of Indian medicinal and food plants and is in an
excellent position to do this sort of thing.  His stuff's pretty good. They
tried to be very politically-correct and work with the Winnebago on the MS,
and they got good cooperation, but, as I said, no vowel length was noted in
their updated forms.  Smith's original didn't have it either as I recall
though.  I had sent them to Ken Miner, but apparently Ken wasn't interested.