Outer instrumentals.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 11 18:19:47 UTC 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 Rgraczyk at aol.com wrote:

> Re: wo- 'by shooting' < wa?o:
>
> Crow has a small set of verbs beginning in oo-:
>
>        o'ottach 'break by shooting'
>        oo'xeechi 'pierce through by shooting'
>        o'oxexawi 'shot up' (stative)
>        oo'xxaxxi 'shoot an arrow or bullet into a hole'
>        oo'xpi 'wound, shoot at and hit'    --also--
>        uu' 'hit target'
>
> Several of these stems also occur with other instrumental prefixes, e.g.,
> alaxxaxxi' 'insert foot into', du'xxaxxi 'insert hand', pa'xxaxxi 'insert'.
>
> It looks to me like Crow has preserved the 'by shooting' instrumental without
> wa-.

In Omaha-Ponca, and, I think, Dhegiha generally, the equivalent of *wa-o-
> *wo'- is accented u'- (or uu'-) as opposed to unaccented u- from just
*o-.  The development of *wa-?o > *Wo# > OP mu(u)'= is a bit different,
because of timing (when in the history of Siouan) and/or the glottal stop.

Is there any possibility that Crow oo' could be a case of wa-o-?  I'm
interested, because I'm not entirely convinced that the ?-initial of
?-stems is organic.  It sometimes looks to me more like just the onset of
V-initials combined with some reanalysis.