Osage

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Sat Jan 19 18:16:41 UTC 2002

Dear Siouanists,

This is irrelevant to the Siouan discussion, but I have to throw it in
anyway. Seneca ohi:yo? (with a Y) actually refers to what is conceived of
as a single river from its source in Pennsylvania to its confluence with
the Mississippi. In English we conceive of this as two rivers, the
Allegheny (in NY spelled Allegany) and the Ohio, changing its identity in
Pittsburgh. The -h- means "river", but the -iyo- part is a little harder
to translate. Perhaps "nice river" comes closer. "Beautiful" as an
aesthetic judgment doesn't quite do it. The cognate in Tuscarora means
"big", but the other languages seem to have moved away from the size
meaning alone. It's interesting to compare English "grand", with both the
size and value judgments. Seneca, at least nowadays, has moved toward the
value end of it. Wi:yo:h (without any incorporation) means "it's good" or
"nice".

The Osage name has been borrowed into Seneca as wasa:se?, which is the
name for the war dance.

Wally Chafe