Osage

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Sat Jan 19 22:34:43 UTC 2002

Just for the record, the origin of the name Ohio in the Seneca language is
quite clear, as is its passage from French into English, where of course
it acquired a spelling pronunciation. The Senecas never "rationalized" it.
The Omaha thing, which apparently resembles the later English spelling
pronunciation, seems to me to be a coincidence, but there I'm outside my
field.

Wally