Water monsters

Erik Gooding egooding at iupui.edu
Sun Jan 20 16:02:34 UTC 2002

>>From Riggs (1893:142) concerning Unktehi, the water monster of the Dakota
(Santee-Sisseton):

"They say it was Unktehi. So when Unktehi  had come to the shore, they
filled both his eyes with the burnt stones, and on his many horns they
piled the baggage, and their husbands they placed among the baggage."

The horned-water monster is at least common throughout  the Dakotan groups,
from the lakes of Minnesota, to the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, to the
lakes of southern and central Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. I'm not
sure if this is a Dakotan-only idea or not, it may have come from the east
and the Great Lakes groups. There is a drawing of one of these somewhere,
perhaps in Dorsey (1894) or something from that time period.

Erik G.